Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Hat...

for Christmas, my dear friend and hula sister, Iris, gave
me a lauhala had that she'd made. I did a blog post here
about her and her weaving...never thinking she would give me one
of her beautiful hats!

I didn't realize what was in the huge bag that she'd left
for me at the hula studio.  I opened it and was speechless
and moved to tears.  All the work and patience that goes
into the whole process of making a hat like this, I can't even
imagine.  Iris and her friends actually pick the lauhala and treat it 
before doing the weaving.








I love that she signed and numbered the inside of the hat.  It really
is a one-of-a-kind and a work of art.

I have worn it several times.  I need to find the perfect lei po'o to
go on it.  Needless to say this hat will NOT be worn to the beach or in the water!
I will cherish it forever as I do Iris and her friendship.

1 comment:

amynicole said...

So beAutiful and thoughtful!