Friday, November 12, 2010

Flashback Friday

(me, Moon, Carmel, John, Val and Jerome)

This was probably about 10 years ago or a little more.  Val and Carmel with their husbands had come to Waikiki for a visit...they were staying on the east side I think.  We all met up down at the Outrigger and decided to go see the MAKAHA SONS play at the Marriott.
Terry and I left them to continue their quest for the "best Mai Tai" in Waikiki.  We wanted to be able
to get good seats because there were a lot of people in our group.

During the first break, one of the husbands (Ray) told Jerome that his wife and her friends danced
hula.  So Jerome invited us to come up and dance a song.  We chose "hula o Ma Kee" since we
had just danced it together on the mainland.
The girls were panicked!  To get their courage up...they had a few more cocktails.
I explained to them that after the song was over to make sure to go up and thank the musicians.

We made it through the song, I knew that kahea.  Pictures show that we were all together and smiling.
Unfortunately, Carmel forgot what I had told her about thanking the musicians, and Jerome called her
back up onto the stage. 

As a side note, after the whole show was over, two girls came up to me and asked me "who is your kumu?".  I explained to them that we were from southern Orange County, etc. 
Elise and Janine asked me if it was Puanani Jung because they recognized
the choreography of the song as that of their kumu, Puanani Alama, the mother of Puanani Jung!
Elise and Janine had taken hula with Pua from her mother since they were very young girls!


Thankfully someone in our group had a camera, Lisa Marie, otherwise there wouldn't have been and
record of our time dancing with the MAKAHA SONS on stage.

No comments: