Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Cultural Celebration ...


Last night I attended a "Cultural Celebration" as part of the
re-dedication of the Laie Hawaii Temple.
There were 2000 youth from the island of Oahu that took part in this celebration!  It reminded me
of the old road shows that I'd been in before. 
The theme of the night was "The Gathering Place" and how the church came to Laie,Hawaii.
Every stake took a part of the story and retold it in song and dance.
While waiting in line, we saw an excitement in the crowd, Mai and I rushed over to see
President Monson arriving and walking through the crowd. 
Mai started singing "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet"
and President Monson stopped right in front of us to listen.
Even as I type this, my heart is racing.




This was how the acts started, with Natalie Kamauu singing
"This Is Hawaii"
chicken skin time for sure
(I started the tears here)

the area of Laie was considered a "City of Refuge" by early Hawaiians

They were telling about the early immigrants working in the sugar cane fields
I loved how EVERYONE took part
building of the Temple
The Pearl Harbor and after the war era
the beginning of the Church College of Hawaii


When I left I drove past the Temple in all of its beauty!
During his talk to the youth, President Monson told them how much
he loved LARGE gatherings for the youth.
I know that his heart was overjoyed with the love for these youth and all the work
they did to put on this truly magnificent CULTURAL CELEBRATION.
I know I was!

No comments: