Saturday, November 15, 2008

Waialua Sunflowers

for the last few years, about this time of year the fields in Waialua become a breathtaking color of yellow. After everyone had told me that the sunflowers were in bloom, I just had to take some pics. On my way home from town as I came over the hill, the sea of yellow greeted me. It really is amazing. There are always cars pulled off to the side to take pics of these short-lived beauties.


looking towards Kaena Point and Waialua

just a sea of yellow, with the blue sea in the background

I actually went into the field because the gate was open. While I was sitting there a lady came walking out of the plants (think "Field of Dreams'). She explained to me that these sunflowers are grown by a seed company in CA to sell. As I stood there looking at them, I realized EVERY plant was the same height, the same color, the flowers were the same, just like carbon copies. She said that this is very important that they look like that, then the company can actually say "this is what these plants/flowers will look like". She told me that the climate here in Waialua is perfect for growing these plants. She expalined that before they get too mature they harvest them, so it's a short growing season.


I'd always wondered about them. We have to appreciate their short lived beauty. Such a contract to all that red dirt and green hills!

2 comments:

Mishel said...

I love sunflowers. The last pic is SO cool!

Sharon said...

Hi there. I am planning on getting married in Hawaii next year and I really really want to take wedding pix at this sunflower field. When do you think I should plan my wedding? Sept? Oct? Nov? Thanks for any info.

-Sharon