Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Waialua Elementary School~ Mural...

for the longest time I'e tried to take a photo of the 
beautiful painted mural that's in the Waialua Elementary Cafeteria.
One day last week my friend and former long, time teacher at the school, Heidi Luarca
posted a picture of it.  
It's beautiful!
I asked her if she knew the story behind it.

The artist was Ipo a me Kunani Nihipali.  
There was a group of students that worked on it also.
their names and the artist is at the bottom left corner of the mural.
It was painted in 1989
It depicts ancient Waialua before the mill, etc.  
Beautiful Mt. Ka'ala is towering above Waialua.
Even after  24 years, it's still as vibrant as always.
I'm glad Heidi got the perfect shot and the story behind it.




(Heidi Luarca photos)

Thanks again Heidi for the photos.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very nostalgic for me. I remember starting at it for what felt like hours during assemblies, fixated on the tiniest of details like the octopus, or the patterns of light and dark on the moon. Until today though, it had been so long since I last seen it, I almost forgot what it looked like.

Thanks for making this blog post, it made my day.