Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Merrie Monarch~1


On Friday, after an all day court session (another post), I got on that Big Canoe in the sky and flew to Hilo for Merrie Monarch. By the time I finally got to the stadium, I was exhausted! I had only had a few hours sleep Thursday night. So, I couldn't make it very long. I went back to the hotel and was asleep within minutes.

Leaving home and Waikiki behind
Saturday morning went to breakfast here... it's the place to meet. Lupchong omelet...yum!

After breakfast my friend Susen dropped me off at Zig Zane. Other friends had told me about a book that was being sold there and the author was going to be signing them. Susen and I made our way to the other side of Hilo Town, the parade hadn't started yet, but still tons of people on the road.

Got this book signed by ...

the author, Jocelyn Fujii.


There weren't many people in the store, so the author took me around and I got to have it signed by...
they are featured in the book.
I went outside to wait for the parade to start. I got a seat, so decided to flip through the book while I was waiting. You can't imagine my surprise/shock when I realized that Ms. Fujii is also the author of probably one of my very favorite books of all time...



I went back in and got a chance to talk to her about this book. She understood when I told her that I'd been offered $$$ for this book, but could never give it up. It was this book in the early '90's that showed me "Hawaiian Style". I really do treasure it.

Hilo Town's Merrie Monarch Royal Parade




to be continued...


























No comments: