Wednesday, April 21, 2010

By Any Other Name...

My two older grands have always given me a bad time when I ask them to "put something in the rubbish" or "will you empty the rubbish". All of them (Lauren, Jack and Grey) all understand what I'm talking about. They're always asking why do I call it "rubbish"? My only answer has always been "that's what it's called in Hawaii".
I got to wondering about it, is it just something people say like "mahalo" or "aloha"?

Recently I noticed this sign along the freeway in Mililani...
and this listing in the telephone book...So, it's really not something that people just say. I would think that if there's a listing in the phonebook AND a sign, trash in Hawaii really is RUBBISH!


2 comments:

Le Mama! said...

So True! Infact in most south pacific islands when learning english they call it rubbish. I wonder if it is an english term because in NZ and Austrailia too. I like the word rubbish better than trash anyway!

Carissa said...

it's a british term =) we say it in canada too. although the american "trash" is starting to take over...
glad I found your blog!! much alohas!!!