Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Solar Drying



Last week I went over to visit a good friend who lives in Ewa, sort of the west side. When we walked into the kitchen, right away I noticed that she had a clothes line strung up. I commented on that because I know where she lives there are a lot of rules.

She told me that her neighbor next door got an electric bill for $517.00! I almost had a heart attack. I guess they keep their AC on "super chill" most of the time. So my friend was telling me that she'd been looking for ways to "cut down" and decided that solar drying her towels and sheets was an answer.

She asked me what I thought about that. I laughed and said I'm now on my second clothesline since moving here. The first one got bent up my a tree-trimming. Hubby and I bought front-loading washer/dryer because of the savings of water, 65% less water. Since our "grey water" goes directly into our cesspool, seems like a good idea to cut back as much as we can in that department.

Anyway, I got my first clothesline a few weeks after moving in. I was telling her how surprised I was that I actually hang out most of my laundry. There's nothing better than the smell of clothes just taken off the line~

She did have a little tip, add a small amount of water softener to the rinse water and that helps with softness.

So today, was the day I do delicates. I love hanging them up and having them flap in the breeze. Amazing how fast they dry. Don't get me wrong, I still use my dryer, but just not that often, more during the rainy season (for obvious reasons).

Just takin' advantage of all that sun and the tradewinds!

Aloha,
Jane

No comments: