Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sew What...?



When my sister was here, we took one of our many trips to SEARS. Since lil' sis works at SEARS, she gets a really, really good discount. While she was buying something to take back to MN, I wandered around the department. I'm always on the "look-out" for thing that are in that "special" color of green that I love so much.

I spotted a Hawaiian quilt that was done in "that" color! I couldn't beleive it! My color! Sis and I looked for the right size...full/queen. Wouldn't you know it, nothing. "Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be", I said (heatbroken, sort-of).

The more I thought about it, the more I knew it was just perfect! I wanted it! So, sis being a good sport (and understanding sort), uttered "why don't we go to another SEARS"! That was it, all I needed to hear. We went to Ala Moana.

All they had was a king size one. A really, really nice/understanding sales girl even called the store at Windward Mall. They didn't have the needed size. Sis suggested that we go to the mattress dept and just see how big it really was.

So there we were, taking these quilts out, laying them on the showroom mattresses. Sis, being the quilter that she is thought that the best thing to do was to get the king size and cut it off.
I was so happy, and really sure this was the answer!

When we got it home and realized it was 10 inches too wide and about the same in the length. Since it's hand quilted, to cut it would have been a problem because of the quilting.

My dear sister, hemmed the whole thing by hand. I tried to help her, but she wouldn't hear of it. She was so fast! When she finished we out it on the bed, and it was love at first sight. But wait...something just wasn't right, I couldn't imagine. The more I looked at it, I realized that what it really, really needed was a new dust ruffle.

So on another trip to stores, I found the perfect fabric at WalMart. It had "my green", a little red, tan and white and was a Hawaiian print. I bought a cheap flat sheet and was ready to go.

Since hubby was getting ready to leave for the mainland on Tuesday, I figured I had better get started with the ruffle. I also didn't have hula to think about anymore, so that helped.

I pulled out my 41 year old, trusty SINGER. Did the cutting on everything and actually found all the attachements I needed...a ruffler and an attachment that rolls a hem all in one pass. So in a short, 2 hours I had it done!

Now our room is "just perfect"...

Aloha, a hui hou

Jane

2 comments:

Mishel said...

Jane, I LOVE it!!! It truly is perfect! And I love "the" color. : )

Oh...and that's a WAY cool sewing machine!

ExploreColorado said...

Beautiful!!!