Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Na Hula 2008

This last weekend, after months and months of practice, we finally got to show our friends and family our hula. Na Hula is the oldest non-competative hula festival held in the state. Ms. Alama, my kuma and her sister have participated in every one of them since 1941.

It's held at Kapi'olani Park Bandstand at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. It's a two day event with lot's of hula, food and fun. I feel truly honored and blessed to be able to participate in this day of traditional hula with my hula sisters.
Puanani AlamaMakaleka

My hero, Elsie, 88 years young and the rest of my hula sisters. Don't our lei & head pieces look great?

See, we're all together!

Another group of my sisters.

Aloha, a hui hou

Jane

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

How fun! I helped the little girl in my neighborhood design her head piece and outfit for nationals in I think Hawaii and it turned out beautiful!!

Mishel said...

After hearing you talk about Na Hula and all your practicing, it's so neat to get to the pictures! Zach said, "Wow!" : ) Me too!

ExploreColorado said...

What a fun day!!!