Monday, April 7, 2014

Aloha Aunty Lei...


 Friday, my friend, Aunty Leilani Alama passed away.
I'm sad, but also happy, because I know that now she's dancing her
beloved hula without any pain or being in a bed.

 70+ years of doing a thing that you loved...
that's what teaching hula was to Aunty Lei.
Always a performer with a quick wit and a twinkle in her eyes.
She still scared us when she would come into hula during our class and threaten us
with sticks as she counted out-loud...but always with that twinkle.

last year Aunty Lei and her beloved sister, Ms. Alama were honored at 
the International Hula Conference
in Waikiki.  I still think about that day and feel so
grateful that I was invited to go.
I took 500+ pictures over two days, but my most cherished ones are 
of these two...
sisters dancing hula together.

 I was crying as Ms. Alama danced for her sister.
Not only sisters, hula kumu but best friends for their entire lives.

I've always been concerned for Ms. Alama because this was going to be a huge loss.
We did have hula on Saturday, because "that's what my sister would have wanted".
These ladies have such class and perseverance, they show us how we should mourn .









In february Aunty Lei's studio was closed (the girls now take classes in our studio).
Coming up those 31 steps and not seeing this sign, I realized the sad truth...
things were going to change.  It's one of those things that doesn't hit home
until you actually see it.  End of an era.  She had been in this same small studio
for more than 50 years!

wish this photo was better, but it actually shows Pua (Aunty Lei's beloved niece), Pua's
twin daughters, Pua and Lei and Ms. Alama dancing while Aunty Lei sings for them.
3 generations of hula all in one place.  The love.




Here is a video from the conference last year, I couldn't get it to upload. This is why I love hula so much

No comments: