Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Watercress Heaven...

I love watercress.
One of my very favorite salads is watercress & tofu with an oriental dressing.

In Aiea on Kam Hiway, is Sumida Farm  that has been growing watercress since 1928.
Right there next to the hiway with thousands of cars going by every single day.
This is probably the biggest watercress farm on Oahu.
As I understand it, since watercress doesn't grow in dirt, it loves 
the natural spring water that in this area comes from Pearl Harbor.
(thank you sweet Marisa for the photo)
I've tried several times to get a good photo of the farm, thanks to dear friends
for great photos that I couldn't get.

It's funny to drive by and see the scarecrows.
It seems like they are always harvesting watercress, I think because
it grows so fast.

I like that Sumida Farm is right there in the middle of a large population area,
but nothing has really changed for them.


No comments: