Thursday, January 30, 2014

Kendama Craze...

a few months ago the kids at school started showing up with this wooden toy, Kendama.
They play with them at recess, lunch after school…pretty much all the time.
I've watched them do it and am amazed at some of the things that they do
with them.  One of my hula sisters little 4 year old boy brings one so he can
play with it while he waits for her.

I read up on them.
It's a Japanese toy that maybe was invented in 1777!!!
It's a ball attached to a string that's attached to a wooden
hand-held piece.  So the top of the piece has a spike like thing where the 
ball (that has a hole in in) can be held.  There are three other sides that
have bowl-shaped pieces that the ball can rest in.  
So you then try to land the ball on one of these spots…it's hard!

we've been having in-door recess because of the rain, so some of the boys
play with them in the back of the room.  
They paused for a bit and let me take a few pictures.




the grands on the mainland had never heard about these before…
like pogs are they only a Hawai'i thing?
At least they're doing some type of muscle movement.

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

Hi Jane! Thanks so much for leaving your comments on my page about the Spam! It's amazing to think of so many different flavours! I can't imagine! It's taken me almost 58 years to become a Spam Fan but now I am going to make up for lost time! That game looks like fun! You are sooo lucky to live in Hawaii! I cannot imagine! xxoo