Monday, May 20, 2013

Two Living Legends...

 I was invited to attend the Waikiki International Hula Conference as a special
guest.  I knew that Ms. Alama and her sister, Auntie Lei would be speaking...but it
turned out to be so much more than them just talking.
The part of the conference I attended was honoring the founder of Merrie Monarch, 
Uncle Geoge Naope.  Since Ms. Alama is the only living judge from that first year 50 years
ago, she was speaking about her friendship with Uncle George.  Auntie Lei of
course also knew him, but they had a different type of friendship.
I loved that during the presentations, old photos were shown on the 
screen.  I've been lucky enough to have one-on-one time with Ms. Alama
when she has talked about those days...but this was something else.

Ms. Alama probably from the 1940's

Ms. Alama speaking about Uncle George

Auntie Lei

Since this is Auntie Lei's 70th year teaching hula, she was also honored.

a photo of her "Diploma" from hula school

Maile from the Hula Preservation Society with Auntie Lei


the true Living Legends, Puanani Alama and Auntie Leilani Alama



a chicken-skin moment was when Ms. Alama surprised Auntie Lei
by dancing Auntie's signature song "Mei nei"...









Auntie Lei was so funny during the discussion period, "I have nothing to say, they've said it all"




probably for me the high point came when the two sisters got up and danced together


always the performers...such grace and class.


Even though they were so tired, they still sat and posed for photographs

and signed many, many copies of the Hawaiian Airlines Hana Hou magazine


aren't they beautiful? Yes, they are both inside and out.

we went out to lunch afterwards...I could have spent hours listening to them talk
about their history, friends, Waikiki, hula and just days gone by.
I consider myself very, very fortunate to climb those 31 steps each week to spend
time with these two treasures.

No comments: