Thursday, May 26, 2011

Maafu's Graduation

Yesterday was the graduation ceremony for Maafu.  He'd actually finished his classes and had the actual
diploma, but since the ceremony is only held once a year, he had to wait.  I know he wasn't sure he
wanted to actually "walk" (I think since he really didn't know what to expect), but in the end it wasn't so bad.
The ceremony was held at the Blaisdell Concert Hall in town and inclusded graduates from all over Oahu.  It was a really nice ceremony with lots of "Pomp & Circumstance". 




a wild "meet and greet" in the exhabition hall
I'd been thinking about where we should go for dinner afterwards, I just wasn't sure because I wasn't sure about the time.  As it turned out I think I made the right "spur of the moment" choice.  We went
to Dukes Waikiki. 
It turned out to be such a special night for a special guy!
By the time we finally got seated, I think we could have eaten anything, but had such a good dinner.
Even the aunties music helped make the night one to remember...I did something, I
really don't do...danced a hula for Maafu and Kirstin. 
Dukes gave us a Hula Pie to end our celebration.  We couldn't even finish it!
Maafu worked so hard to reach this goal and has already started taking
the first steps towards his 4 year degree.  I wish that everyone took education as
seriously as he does. I was only there to guide him and help where he needed it, but it all came down to him. I know that he'll succeed because he does understand
the importance of education and knows what a difference it makes.
I'm so proud of you Maafu!
Ho'omaikai