Monday, May 23, 2011

Hidden Talents

I'm in charge of getting people to put  flowers in the chapel for Sunday.  Usually I don't
have a problem with people signing up.  This week I couldn't get anyone to do it, so I figured
I could do something myself.  We've got a lot of flowers in our yard and the red and yellow haliconia
are beautiful right now. 
I set up a table in our carport with the cuttings and knew that since I was just going to make 1 large arrangement
I'd need something very large to put it in.  I found the 5 gallon bucket that hubby uses.  I was having trouble with the oasis
stuff I had gotten to hold the flowers in place. 
About this time, my neighbor across the street Jason saw me and asked me what I was up to.  I showed him the
problem and he came up with a great solution, making a tape grid that we could stick the flowers into.
One of his daughters, Brinn, helped me get more cuttings to fill in the spots.  Jason came back
and took a look and realized that we had "negative space" and helped me put together this beautiful arrangement...

You get an idea of how big it was next to Jason and Brinn.  We tried putting
it into my car and it wouldn't fit.  So Jason took it over to the church in his
truck and carried it in for me.
I knew he was a talented contractor, but I didn't realize he knew anything about flower arranging. 
Another one of his hidden talents!

2 comments:

Kelsey Kamauu said...

gorgeous - great job jane!

Club Creative Studio said...

That is a beautiful arrangement. The color combinations really "pop". I am sure all in chapel admired and appreciated the beauty you shared from your yard.