Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rainbow Bridge

Probably one of the most famous things in Haleiwa is
the Rainbow Bridge.
Early this morning I was on my way to school and stopped and looked at it.
The bridge was built in 1921 (or so it says on one end).  I heard that there used
to be a wooden bridge there that went over the Anahulu Stream.
The Anahulu Stream is the longest on the island of Oahu (20miles I'm told).  Hubby paddles his canoe
up there.  There are groups that clean the banks of the stream.  This is where
a few years ago, when the floods came, that we stood and watched a truck wash under
the bridge.

Since the bridge is a narrow 2 lanes, everyday someone
"drives with aloha" and stops at the other end to let the other car cross.
We've seen kids jumping off (signs say no jumping), men fishing and people just enjoying
the view.


I love this symbol of the North Shore and what it means.

1 comment:

Jenna E said...

oh wow! I came across your blog by accident and so happy I did. I used to live in Waialua and miss it so much. Aloha xo