Thursday, July 10, 2008

Puka Shells



The other day we went to Haleiwa Beach Park so that my man could go paddle. I went in the water for awhile and as I was coming out, something caught my eye. It was a big puka shell. At first I thought that someone had broken one of those "fake" necklaces that you can buy at the swapmeet, because it was so big. I bent down to pick it up and realized that there were a lot of other puka shells in the sand.

I walked down the beach a little farther and found all of the shells that are in the picture. I was so excited because to find that many "real" ones was a real gift. I've got a container that I put them in whenever I find one, but never this many all at once. Not sure what I'll do with them just yet.

They're called puka shells, because "puka" means hole in Hawai'ian. I'm really not sure how the holes get there, probably some sea creature.

Enjoy my "real" puka shells.

aloha, a hui hou,

Jane

1 comment:

queenieweenie said...

Your grandbabies are SO CUTE!

Make yourself some pretty jewelry!