Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Downton Finale...

I think I've recovered and can finally talk about it.


I was one of those (few) people that actually didn't have any idea
about what was going to happen.  I resisted buying the UK dvd when it
came out.  I skipped over any mention of the finale on FB, or Internet sites.
So I really was shocked!

When people would ask me who my favorite character was, I always
said "Matthew".  Not only did I love his looks, but I loved they way he was
with Mary.  I cried when he was wounded in the war during season 2.  The guilt he
he felt for poor Lavinia.  Then as in pure "Mr. Darcy" fashion, giving
into his love and desire for Lady Mary.










I won't say that Matthew was the only reason that I love Downton, but
his story line really was an integral part of my love affair with Downton .

Fast forward to Sunday night at approx. 1:55 minutes into the finale...the shock,
the horror, the disbelief !  I think my words to my friends (after I found my voice)
"maybe he's not dead".  We sat in my little living room in silence.  Kirsten already 
knew, but she said actually seeing it was hard.  She thought maybe it was another
Internet hoax.  

There was no rewinding it to see it again...just couldn't .  Those eyes, that smile, the wit...
gone

When the girls left, I laid in bed thinking about it.  I went to the computer to see
what other people were feeling.  Glad to see I wasn't alone in my sorrow.

Then I started reading about why the Matthew character was written out of the
show.  It's true Downton views would NEVER accept another actor taking
his place.  Matthew would NEVER leave Mary or their new son, he's not like that.
So what choice did the writers have? None.  The shock of Lady Sybil dying
was unexpected (another case of an actor wanting out).

I'm still very sad, but understand the reason.  
This finale will probably go down as one of the most memorable
in television history.  


Curse you Dan Stevens!!!!

1 comment:

amynicole said...

Goodness, wasn't that finale just so dreadful?!!! It made me so mad and sad and just baffled! U wonder if he realized how sad he has made American women :)