Friday, November 16, 2012

Weed Circle...


At the entrance to Haleiwa Town is a round-a-bout.
It's called "Weed Circle"

I've been curious about this place.  I've seen groups of people
there tending to it. They mow the grass, trim and cut back the trees.

One morning I stopped to read the plaque that I'd seen on a rock
near Kaukonahua Road.  I was surprised to see that the Outdoor Circle group
is involved.  This is the group that is responsible here in Hawaii for not having billboards
along the sides of the road.





There are about 7 (that I know of ) different types of trees growing here.
Singapore plumeria, lauhala, rainbow shower trees, palms,
and some I don't know what they are.


My friend Iris has come up here to Weed Circle to gather lauhala
for her weaving.  I've seen other people gathering the plumeria for lei.







Weed Circle is used as the staging area for the Haleiwa Christmas Parade.
Sign waving during elections.
Policemen sit in their cars in the shade of the trees during the hot summer.
Weed Circle is also a spot where boats and canoes have been put during Tsunami warnings.

Weed Circle a little oasis.

No comments: