Sunday, May 27, 2012

Lei making...

Every year the graves at Punchbowl National Cemetery are decorated with a lei.
A few days before Memorial Day leis are starting to be collected.
On Friday morning I decided to make a few lei to turn in.  I've done it before with crown flowers
and have gotten the neighborhood girls to help.  On this day there wasn't anyone 
around, so I just started to pick flowers and then stringing.  
I ended making 10 lei before I had to turn them into the pick up spot...




When I got to the district park, they were stringing lei with some kids that had shown up.
they had a lot of loose flowers that needed to be strung.
I stayed until we got all of the flowers strung, which ended up being 100 lei!


On Saturday after hula I went up to Punchbowl where they were still collecting lei...
when I was there they were still 6000 lei short, but sure they would get them.
I love this tradition, it really shows the aloha spirit.

1 comment:

Dreamybee said...

Have you heard if they got enough lei? I sewed some on Friday at Honolulu Hale and made a few at home to drop off at Punchbowl on Sunday, but I haven't heard any reports as to whether they had enough to go around. I hope so! It seems like they made announcements in previous years whenever the goal was met. This year I haven't seen anything, so I hope they didn't come up short.