Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tripler

Last Friday, I took my friend to Tripler Army Medical Center.  I'd taken her before, but this time I decided to take some pictures because it's such a pretty view.

This is the front of the hospital looking west.  The original Tripler was built in 1902 and with additions became what it is today.  It serves ALL of the Pacific military personnel and their families.  It's so busy all of the time, so I guess that's why. 
 The view from the parking lot looking west towards the airport, Salt Lake and beyond.
 Just beyond HNL, is Hickham Air Force Base, so there are all kinds of planes taking off and landing all the time.
There are two stories about why Tripler has always been coral (pink).  One is that since the Royal Hawaiian Hotel was pink, this hospital should also be.  The other one is that when they were getting ready to paint since the surrounding area of Moanalua was made up of red dirt, Tripler should also be painted a color close to that because it wouldn't take that long for the red dirt to stain it that color. 

I've been on incoming flights where people actually think because it's pink, it is the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.  Guess they don't realize that the Royal sits right on the water of Waikiki. 
Since I only go to Tripler as a visitor, it's not hard for me to appreciate the beauty of this place.

No comments: