Monday, June 2, 2008

ku'u lei

Since today was graduation day at the elementary school...more on that later, I decided to make a lei for one of the girls in the "hood" who was graduating. I had noticed that hubby's plumerias were in full bloom and plenty of blossoms, so I decided to go ahead. I got out my lei needle, floss and a bowl.

The sun had just come up and I wanted to get the flowers at their freshest. As I came around the corner of the house, I was overwhelmed by the sweet smell. If your familiar with the scent of plumeria, this was about 100 time stronger! Our whole yard smelled! I couldn't smell it inside the house, only outside. I was truly taken-a-back by it.

I've forgotten the name of this blossom, maybe "Rainbow". I picked enough flowers for the lei and came inside to start stringing. It only took about 15 minutes and the end result was something so special. I've always loved a single plumeria lei, so simple, yet so full of the true meaning of a lei.

So here are a few shots of the process, from start to finish. Enjoy.

Aloha and a hui hou,

Jane

No comments: