Monday, June 2, 2008

Graduation




Today was 6th grade graduation at Waialua Elementary. The first time I attended, I was amazed by what a big deal it was. Balloons, lots of lei, family, flowers and just a lot of celebration.

I asked my friend why it was such a big deal. She explained to me that it goes way back to the time that grade school was as far as many children's formal education went. During the plantation days, many of them went to work in the fields to help their families, so grade school graduation was a big deal...and the tradition stuck.

Graduation in all of Hawaii is HUGE. If it's college, high school, middle school, elementary, private or public school, to graduate is a BIG DEAL.

Just a few shots I took of celebration afterward...it really was a BIG DEAL.

Congratulations to all the graduates, Class of 2008.

A hui hou,

Jane

No comments: