Thursday, May 29, 2008

it's a...honu!



This afternoon, hubby and I went to Chun's Reef when he got home from work. It had been a little warm and there wasn't a lot of wind. At the last minute I grabbed my little Olympus 720 underwater camera. Boy, was I glad I did!

While hubby was out surfing, I decided to try and take some pictures of fish. These didn't turn out too well because it was late in the day. I was just getting out of the water and happened to look over and see a dark, moving shadow. I knew that since it was around 5, it must be the turtles starting to come in to feed.

I went back into the water and almost ran right into one! The first shot I took, if it had turned out, would have been of his nose, we were that close. I didn't realize that when they come in, they churn up the sand because they're so close to shore. So those crystal clear shots you see are probably taken in deeper water, high noon.

I swam with him for probably 10 minutes, just taking as many pictures that I could and hoping that something turned out. There were probably 5 of them along the shore all eating the green sea weed from the rocks.

This was problably one of the neatest things I've done in a very long time. Honu=turtle.

Aloha
a hui hou,

Jane

3 comments:

Mishel said...

VERY cool!! It's a good thing you had your camera. : )

Tiffany said...

What a cool experience. I want to go to to Hawaii on vacation and do all those fun things,

amynicole said...

Gasp. I LOVE honu's!!!! Probably one of the things I was most sad to leave behind in our quick move :(