Sunday, April 13, 2008

Grandparents Day


Months ago, I was reading the school calendar that Lauren had brought home from her new school. I saw that they had "Grandparent's Day" listed. Right away I knew that this was something I really wanted to do. So I made a reservation immediately on my favorite airline!

I didn't realize that I'd be going over to help with the grandkids two weeks before my much anticipated "Grandparent's Day" trip. But that is another story!

I flew in the night before and picked up Lauren in the morning and took her to school. Then I waited until the appointed time. I'd been to her school numerous times, even working in the classroom, but this felt like "the first time".

All of us grandparents were treated to a tour of the classroom, looking at artwork and assignments. We were given a packet to work on with our grandchild. Lauren had to put a plumeria in her hair. I answered questions about mommy when she was a little girl. Lauren really thought that some of these things were pretty funny!

A bell rang and we were dismissed to the chapel for the program. Lauren's class was first up and performed a song and poem about grandparents. That's her in the blue hat on the end! The rest of the program brought a lot of laughs and also a few tears.

At the end of the program, we grandparents were allowed to take our grandkids for the rest of the day. Lauren wanted to go to Nordstrom Cafe for lunch and then shopping. Sitting there talking with her (she seemed so grown-up), I realzed how truely blessed I was to not only have this special little girl in my life, but also the rest of my family. The best part of being a grandparent is having the time to really appreciate the Grand-est things in life.




Big Mahalo to Jen for the photos!





a hui hou and aloha,
Jane

1 comment:

Mishel said...

Awww, what great pictures! And what a special time for you and Lauren. : )