Thursday, August 28, 2014

I'll See You Soon...

the last two trips I made to California I visited with a long time friend, Shan.
Shan has been battling breast cancer for 10 years.
A few months ago she was told that there wasn't anymore that could be done.

As I read her FB post, I was so sad...what a waste of a truly good lady.
In March, Shan told me that she had some things she really wanted to do...
attend the Brigham Young Granddaughters luncheon that she did every year
and see her oldest son married.
When I went to see her in June, she again told me about wanting to go to SLC
for Scott's wedding.

I stopped by and saw her a couple of weekends ago.  My darn back had kept me
down long enough.  I knew that her sweet husband Ron was now home full time.
I sat with her for an hour while we talked about our kids, the wedding and
the upcoming reception the next weekend.

We laughed about our trips to Hawaii when the kids were young
and just about so many things.  I could tell that she was getting tired.
I got up and bent to kiss her, I really didn't want to say good-bye...
so I just said "I'll see you soon" and told her how much I loved her.

The following Saturday, instead of a wedding reception we were attending 
her memorial service.
It was sad, but also a time for remembering this really special, sweet spirit.


(thanks Kitty Bingham for remembering to take a photo and for letting me use them)

A few months earlier, I'd been asked to write a letter to Shan and include 
any photos I had for a book the RS sisters were putting together.

I found some from this trip.  Maybe 30 years ago.
We had such a good time.


It was a wonderful service honoring Shan and her grace.
It was a joyous time knowing that she wasn't suffering any longer and was out of pain.
It was a time to see old friends and reminisce about our old Capo Ward and all the years that
had passed.

Shan, until we meet again...

No comments: