Friday, July 15, 2011

ALOHAmora, Harry Potter



12 years, 7 books, 8 movies and thousands of pages...
Harry Potter is coming to an end.
Over the years I've read every book at least twice and watched the movies countless times.
I was first drawn to these books out of  curiosity Why were all of these young kids
reading these huge books? After the first one, I was hooked.  I'd re-read the book
before the movie came out just to refresh my memory.  I remember watching the
first movie and thinking, "that's exactly what it's supposed to look like!"

So when "Deathly Hallows" was released, yes I was there in line to get my book.  I remember
walking into Barnes and Noble, Kahala Mall and having to sidestep around kids of all
ages sitting everywhere and reading that HUGE book.

I spent a whole weekend reading it, and as I got closer to the end, I didn't want it to end.
Over the years I'd always given the books away to librarys or friends.  "Deathly Hallows"
is still sitting in my drawer, I can't bear to give it away.
I'm excited that now my grandchildren are old enough to fall under Harry's spell.

There are people who have banned these books saying they had to do with witchcraft, dark magic.
Oh please, these are fiction stories!  Look at some great stories..."Wizard of Oz", "Narnia" or "Lord of
the Rings".  Aren't they also fiction/fantasy?

So to Harry and all of his friends, I say "Aloha"
and to J.K. Rowling I have to say "mahalo"

No comments: