Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Christmas in July

A few weeks ago we had our RS Activity Night. The theme was "Christmas in July". Since our ward is so diverse, there are many hidden talents. This was the perfect opportunity to share those talents. We made Christmas ornaments using lauhala, a native Hawaiian plant.

The lauhala candy cane was by far the hardest, since you were actually weaving four pieces around a pipe cleaner (to give it shape)
Sometimes it actually took to sets of hands to get it right


the lauhala wreath was easy, quick and fun


I think the fish may have been my favorite. Some were left plain and others were decorated with glitter.


Can't wait to see these ornaments on the Christmas tree. Not only are they Hawaiian style, but they look great, were pretty easy to make but also very inexpensive...lauhala can be found in a lot of yards or growing wild.






1 comment:

Le Mama! said...

Thats my hand in the last pic! fun! I still need to finish glue gun'ing my ribon on my wreath. I think the fish was my fav. I just have to hid it from Ofa now.