Friday, June 11, 2010

King Kamehameha Day 2010

(early morning, no one around)
Today I left Waialua very, very early to go into town and help string lei to be placed on the statue of King Kamehameha. Today was the 200th anniversary of his unification of the islands.
My good friend Coco had invited me to come and help her Hawaiian organization string the lei. Yesterday we picked plumeria from our trees to be used. It was such a great day... ladies sitting around talking story, food, almost overpowering smell of plumeria, still can smell that sweet smell on my clothes even now and a true sense of pride these ladies have of their heritage.



flowers everywhere




experienced hands stringing lei with love

they carried the 30 foot long lei
to the firemen to be placed on the statue




there were many, many offerings left for the King (this is only a small amount shown...I had another appointment on the other side, so I had to leave)

The flowers in the front towards the bottom are the ones that came from our yard. I felt so proud that we were able to contribute to such a special occasion.
Can't wait until next year, it was so special.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI Jane!
I remember meeting you at Sig Zane's during Merrie Monarch week! Thank you for the kind words on your blog about my books. Your photos of the Kamehameha Day lei are sublime, and very moving! Aloha and mahalo,
Jocelyn Fujii