Sunday, February 28, 2010

Post Tsunami


I finally went to bed about 1am early Saturday morning. I sat my alarm for 5am and around 4am got a voice mail from a church member. When I got up and saw my neighbor across the street loading up his car and truck, I knew it was time. The street behind us is the last street on the tsunami zone map (this is good for ins. purposes= no tsunami ins, but really is the water going to stop there?).

Most of my street were up and out and some neighbors were already leaving by 6am. I had talked to Terry on the phone (he was still on the mainland, supposed to come home last night) and told him what was going on. We both agreed it was better to leave. I had already packed a small bag, gotten our emergency packet with information, my computer, a 72 kit and water bottles in the car. One neighbor helped me load it up.

I had a little over a tank of gas, but thought I'd fill up just to make sure in case the electricity went out. The Waialua gas station already had a line about 25 cars long and at 7/11 the line was all the way to Weed Circle. So I just thought I'd wait until I got farther away. My plan was to meet up with some church members in Wahiawa. I was on the phone with Terry, the kids, church people...kids couldn't get through on the house line, and the cells were also getting jammed with so many calls. Texting seemed to be the best.


As I drove out of Waialua/Haleiwa I snapped a few pictures with my phone:


Weed Circle was filling up with the C&C trucks, and boats that had been moved there for higher ground.


boats moved from the harbor to higher ground



Cars lined up Kam Hiway towards Wahiawa at 6:30am.

I was amazed at how it seemed like everyone (well most everyone) was taking this very, very seriously. The sirens had been going off since 6am and every hour past that...as it got closer to the time, it was about every half hour. ALL state highways were closed at 10:00am.

I drove to Wahiawa and couldn't find my friends at Tamuras...it was crazy. My good Gloria had texted me and said that they were home and to come down there. I wasn't sure about going to the Stake Center in Mililani, but that's actually where I should have gone first. It all turned out for the best.

We were glued to the TV. It was the most amazing thing. I guess most people have watched the live feeds on the Internet and seen how people actually followed directions! The streets really were deserted. I know that most of that was because all of the roads were closed, but still amazing to see. Watching the live shots of Coconut Island in Hilo was amazing.

All of Haleiwa town was closed down. Our bakery stayed open until they sold out and the market continued to be open. That far up the street is pretty safe. All of the malls, except Pearlridge were closed. The only Costco that stayed open was the one on our side, Waipio. They were letting members and non-members inside at 7am.

Someone asked me why were we filling up our gas tanks, buying supplies, etc. One thing that we've learned since living here is that the power can go out very easily. We were w/0 power for three days a couple of years ago, so we learned our lesson then.

So glad that I was able to return to our little house. I really appreciate that so many people took the time to text and call me. Even when the land-lines didn't work from the overload, the Internet was still up! Gotta love technology. At one point we heard on the news that Hawaiian Airlines was offering to change tickets for yesterday at no cost. I called him and he changed his ticket to today. We were worried that if something had happened, the plane wouldn't have been able to land on the reef runway.

We considered this a sort-of drill. I was glad that hubby and I had a plan and even with him not being here, I still was able to do it. Would I do anything different? No, not really, except go to the Stake Center.

Mahalo again for all the thoughts and prayers.

No comments: