Thursday, January 7, 2010

Service and Aloha

(thank you Heidi and your girls for letting me take a pic of you picking up rubbish)
A few weeks ago I spoke in Sacrament about service. Since then I've been thinking about service and it's importance. Since it's the beginning of a new year, everyone comes up with resolutions (myself included). In my post "New Years Thoughts", one of the things I mentioned was giving more service. Isn't part of the "Aloha Spirit" showing kindness to others?



"An act of service may seem so small, but to the person receiving it, it's huge", I said in my talk. In our church we're taught at a very early age to perform small acts of service, and this early training will carry throughout our lives.



There are tons of opportunities in our community for service; cleaning the Anahulu Stream, Beach cleanups, library service, tutoring, school volunteer, outreach programs, the list goes on.

What about just the small acts of kindness that could make someones day? Letting cars go in front of you on the highway, offering a neighbor a ride when it's raining, airport pick-up, etc.

These are all things that really are small, but could really "make" someones day.

Today, after I left school, I came across a friend and her two daughters picking up rubbish along the side of Haleiwa Beach Road. She told me that all the wind was blowing it across the street from the beach park. She and the girls were just walking along with their bags.

Let's all try to give a "little" service, that turns into something HUGE. Isn't that in the true spirit of ALOHA?




No comments: