Tuesday, June 17, 2014

47 Years...

Sunday was not only Father's Day, but also our 47th anniversary.
June 15, 1967 I married this wonderful guy...


After breakfast with all the family we drove down to Newport for an early dinner
at the Crab Cooker (we love that place).
We decided to drive by some places from that time in our marriage.

I met Terry the first time directly across from Blackie's
on the beach


at the Newport Pier.
He asked me about the surf..."has it been like this all day?"
We talked about that for a few minutes before he left in his little '56 red porsche.
I didn't see him again for a few weeks, but once again saw him at the beach...
Our first date was a surf/beach date to Doheny (before the harbor)

We were married 3 months later in San Bernardino and lived for a few
months in West Covina next to that round theater where we saw Don Ho.
We both wanted to move to the beach, so we started looking.
Our first place we lived was 331 Poinsettia...
We lived in a little back house that at the time it was a converted garage.  
Back then the garage doors were still there.  Now they've finished off the whole thing.

a little German lady lived in the front house.  She used to make
home-made sauerkraut that you could smell all over the neighborhood.
our little house was sold and we had found another place, but it wouldn't be ready for a 
few months, so we rented an apt on Coast Hiway (this is where Terry nailed
the Christmas tree to the floor after the kittens tipped it over 3 times).
Our little house with a yard finally was vacant...
128 Poinsettia...
Terry had a yard he could putz in (and he did).
We had a cat and our dog George here.
After Terry had his knee surgery, he sat in this front yard and talked to
the waitresses as they came to work.
We brought Traci home from the hospital to this house and lived here until
she was about 18 months old.

We lived just 2 blocks from the 5 Crowns.  We were talking about how surprised we were 
that this great restaurant is still around and seems busy.

Years pass, ups and downs, good and bad...
I have to say that I love my husband more today than I did on that day 47 years ago.
We only knew each other for 3 months, but we knew.
He's still my boyfriend and my best friend.
He makes me laugh and shake my head.
The last 8 years years I've seen him hurt and madder than ever, but he just keeps going.
I just love this big bear...

No comments: