Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Merrie Monarch~ Hilo Food Crawl...

Merrie Monarch just isn't about hula,
it's also about the food.  This year did not disappoint .


Tex's in Honokaa has really good malasadas, different than the ones
on Oahu.  I actually didn't stop there this year, just took a pictured.

the big news this year was the opening of "Hawaiian Style Cafe"
in Hilo.  This is the same restaurant that's in Waimea/Kamuela.

they do the best home-made hash
we split this plate


I met Leona and Dean at Imiloa
and ate at the Sky Garden.  I'd never been there before and will make
sure I go back


Leona and I had the salad bar and Dean had the regular buffet


breakfast at Cafe 100, hadn't been there for years
just good local drive-in


met my hula sisters at Hilo Bay Cafe...
such good food in such a funny place
I actually had the sweet potato burger and it was so good.
Iris had the pot-pie and said it was to die for!


plate lunches again with Leona and Dean at a local place after her 
hula show



not to be forgotten are all the snacks that are passed around
in the stands between friends during the breaks



went to Hawaiian Style Cafe three times

this might be a Hawaii thing...
grilled lunch meat and sunny-side up eggs

my favorite, shrimp and lup chong scramble (no shrimp)


had to stop at Big Island Candies on my way out of town


 final stop is always Two Ladies Kitchen
to pick-up my pre-ordered strawberry kochi and manju



 never went to Ken's once...love Hawaiian Style Cafe too much
After such big breakfast or lunches, really not into dinner.
Funny I didn't get any pictures of the nachos, saimin, sweet-sour ribs
or hot dogs that are sold at the stadium,
there's always next year

Hilo really does offer some great food choices that are 
always open, not just there during Merrie Monarch.


No comments: