Thursday, April 7, 2011

Long Bridge


Here in Hawaii, we use landmarks as a way of giving directions; Ewa or Diamond Head side of Waikiki, North Shore, Foodland side or Waialua side.
When giving directions you might say, "Long Bridge side of Haleiwa".  Makes sense when you think about it...
this is crossing Long Bridge from Waialua going into Haleiwa.
Long Bridge got it's name....because it's a very, very long bridge over a river.
Much easier than saying North, East, South or West since we live on an island.

1 comment:

Le Mama! said...

lol! I agree. I cannot do the N.W.E.S directions. on an Island Landmarks work better and using makai and mauka works really well! Even in Ventura back home we had the mountain on one side and the ocean on the other. I used landmarks. And when ever we visited Utah I just gave up. I know their grid pattern for street names makes sense to most...But for me my brain just shuts off! :)