Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tsunami Warning Test

On the first day of every month at exactly 11:45am, there is a Tsunami Warning Test siren that goes off all over the islands. Today when I heard it I had to stop and think...what day was it? Then I remembered and it was OK. We're so thankful that they test these sirens because it could mean the difference between getting away to higher ground or worse.


I had wanted to actually film it, but by the time I got my camera...it was over for another month. Just thought it would be good to do post on this, since here we do take these things very seriously as do other island nations. I read an article today that said in Samoa, when the children saw the water receding, they ran and rang the church and school bells as a warning. By doing this they probably saved lives.

No comments: